A spin on the classic, this Chickpea and Mushroom Pesto is loaded with mushrooms, chickpeas, buttery pine nuts, and fragrant basil.
Mushrooms, chickpeas and pine nuts are all fantastic sources of plant protein. Serve the pesto over chickpea pasta to up the protein even more.
You can substitute the pine nuts with walnuts or cashews. If you have nut allergies sunflower seeds make a great substitute.
Chickpea & Mushroom Pesto
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 cups mushrooms
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas, (or canned)
- 1 cup basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp pine nuts, (walnuts or sunflower seeds)
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- salt & pepper
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- Parmesan cheese
- In a dry pan toast the pine nuts until they begin to turn golden and fragrant. This will take 1-2 minutes. Don’t walk away from the pan, the nuts can burn very quickly. Reserve about 1 tbsp for sprinkling on top of the pasta, and add the remaining pine nuts to the bowl of your food processor and set aside.
- Slice the mushrooms and saute them in a tbsp of olive oil over medium high heat until all of their liquid evaporates.
- Add the chopped garlic and saute for another minute.
- Reserve about a quarter of the mixture for topping the pasta, and add the remaining cooked mushrooms and garlic along with the basil, chickpeas, and lemon zest to the pine nuts in the food processor. While the processor is running drizzle in the remaining 3 tbsp olive oil.
- Add red pepper, if you are using it, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss with your favorite pasta and top with the reserved mushrooms and pine nuts. Sprinkle with parmesan.
You might also like: