Wrapped in a flaky crust and packed with spinach, leeks, onions, garlic and tangy feta cheese, these spinach pies are perfect for lunch, a snack or a light dinner accompanied by a salad.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup onions, (chopped)
- 1/3 cup leeks, (cleaned and chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 lb chopped spinach, or any greens you like
- 2 eggs, (one egg is for the egg wash)
- 1 tbsp dill
- 3 oz feta
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 recipe Foolproof Flaky Pie Crust
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat olive oil and saute the onions and leeks until golden. Add the garlic and saute for another minute. Add the greens and cook until all the water evaporates.
- Transfer to a bowl and add the lemon juice, dill, one of the eggs and the cheese. Set aside to cool while you roll out the crust.
- Roll the pie crust into a square about 1/4 inch thick and cut into four pieces. A pizza cutter works well for this.
- Scoop about 1/4 cup of the cooled spinach and feta filling on each square of crust. (Don’t overfill)
- Lightly beat the remaining egg. Brush the edges of each square with the egg. This will help the edges stick so your filling doesn’t spill out.
- Fold the crust in half to form a triangle.
- With a fork crimp the edges of each triangle.
- Brush the tops of the pies with the egg wash.
- Bake for about 40 minutes until the pies are golden brown.
Reheat the pies at 350º F for 10 minutes.
The spinach pies freeze well; just thaw and reheat.
You might also like: